Perturbed: greatly disturbed, made uneasy or anxious, confused.
Pessimistic: a tendency to take the gloomiest possible view of a situation.
Times are getting tough. People are perturbed. The usually optimistic are beginning to rethink their positions.
- An old friend stopped by today. She is visiting from the Bay Area for a long weekend with her husband. Just before leaving town yesterday her boss at Oracle called her in to say she was being laid off. Part of a purge.
- My ex has a real estate investment that just went belly up.
- My gig contributing feng shui articles to the local newspaper was terminated because that section of the paper is being eliminated (along with 20 more staff members).
- My investment portfolio is down 22% since Jan.1.
- Food prices have increased 5.3% in the past year.
- Gas prices are $1.32 a gallon higher in Washington state than a year ago – more than 25%.
It’s not all bad:
- My laid-off friend found a job in a different division of Oracle and will be able to work when she returns from vacation.
- Many of us are driving much less and much less aggressively, which is good for the environment and our stress levels. Some of us even have enough spare cash to buy a Prius
- Many of us have returned to growing our own veggies… I’ve got lettuce, spinach, herbs, and blueberries right now. Beans, squash, tomatoes, beets, grapes on the way. How locavore can you get?
- I still have a roof over my head, with enough rooms in my house to sleep extra folks if necessary. I don’t know if I can extend that offer to my ex though… (he still has his own roof).
- The less I have, the more appreciative I am of what I do have: friends, family, health, music, dance, books, children, beauty, laughter. On and on. So much.